Welcome to Greg's Grilling!

This blog is devoted to my passion, my philosophy in life, food. I dedicate my life to reviewing and challenging the food world. Originally I began by reviewing free food provided to us by corporates in the medical world. Free food however was not always so plentiful (recession) so I have branched out to other things, like trying to scull soy sauce or dining in fine resturants, sometimes both. I aim to capture the whole culinary experience-mood, taste, setting, difficulty, presentation and stir fry them together with a packet of watties wok creations to create an alternative food blog. Enjoy.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

GP meeting in New Plymouth at the Plymouth hotel

Finally a meeting with free food! Couldn't wait to see what was on offer. Was interesting as it was in New Plymouth at the spectacular Plymouth hotel, the psych dudes were really putting it on for us. Walking into the hotel I was reminded of school balls and 21sts I had attended there, doing dance moves more cringe than if John Key hit the d-floor. Now I was entering this place with a bunch of mature doctor people who discuss things like ACC and bureaucracy whatever that means. What happened to me? Even the food had matured, fries and chicken bits have been replaced with blue cheese and grapes. There was even wine and beer on offer, no need for a hip flask anymore!


Sadly the Plymouth hotel collapsed worse than the black caps. The food on offer were some tuna rolls, but rolled in white bread, not fancy wraps. The sauce to fish ratio was high as well, luckily the sauce was delicious so was unphazed. There was a plate of fruit, just your standard grapes, melon and apple slices. Not sure what the apple slices were doing there tho, we aren’t in preschool for god’s sake, everything looked so sophisticated until I saw that immature mistake. There was also your token dish of hot fried food that always turns up at these kind of free food events. This dish is really the decider it make or breaks the offering. Tonight there were small wonton things. Not enough meat and too small, and not crispy. I would have chicken bits any day. The sweet and sour sauce attempted to save them but failed worse than Phil Goff. The beer on offer was export gold, and DB. Good brews if you are at the cricket, but here you really need green bottle beers, geez.

So pretty poor from the psych team and Plymouth hotel. Not even a sweets dish which I always thought was stock standard. Some wraps, some sort of chicken and slices would of improved it greatly. I was hoping for the Hilton but got the YHA. Maybe growing up ain’t that great.

Being a new year I thought I’d change the rating system as the other one was quite complex and hard to understand. The new one incorporates taste, integrity, variety, appropriateness (does the food relate to the event) and presentation

Taste- 2/5

Integrity-1/3

Variety-1/4

Appropriateness- 2/5

Presentation-2/4

So got a few other blogs in the pipeline they shouldn’t be far away

Cheers

Larry.

No comments:

Post a Comment